Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Jelly Jar Cocktail


Fill a jelly jar with crushed ice.

I am using my Grandma's vintage ice-crusher from a-way-back. It has gathered dust for a good decade in my storage room, but now I have discovered the wonder of it. No more dusty shelf for this baby! (until winter perhaps...)

1 ounce rum

1 ounce lime juice

1 ounce mint syrup

Pour over ice and top up with sparkling water or club soda. Very mojito-ish in flavour, but quick if you make a mint syrup and have some squeezed lime juice in your fridge. I do because I need quick access to mojitos once the mint is up in my garden. Isn't that why everyone grows mint? For mojitos? Anyway, this cocktail must be served in a jelly jar on a sunny porch, preferable with a breeze. If you love mojitos but don't like the mint leaves in your drink (I do, but perhaps I'm odd that way) try this. And you will thank me as all your worries melt away...

PS: I throw about a cup of sugar and 1 1/2 cups water into a pot, bring it to a boil, throw in a handful of mint leaves and let it steep off the heat for a while. Maybe 20 minutes? Don't recall. Then strain and keep in a jar in the fridge, ready for a cocktail at a moment's notice!

PPS: Terrible photo, but I keep drinking them too fast to take a better shot...

No comments:

Post a Comment