Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Make This

Oh, technology.
Our computer is giving us a lot of trouble these last few months. Or, I should say, was. It is now dead. I am really hoping all my photos and other documents can be saved. I mean, forget photos of the children - I have knitting pattern pdfs in there! Things I haven't even knit yet!

So I shall be a photolesss blog for now.

I have been meaning to post this and now that I am, run out and try to find the last of the meyer lemons in the produce section. They won't be there much longer and this cake is the best with meyer lemons. I've made it with regular lemons (no matter how local I eat, I will always make room in my ideals to include imported lemons and limes, okay?) but it really isn't as oh-did-I-really-just-eat-a-whole-cake-today? as the meyer lemon version. You've been warned.

Meyer Lemon and Almond Cake
(of which there is a lovely photo on my - sob - dead computer)

Mix together in a large bowl:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup almond meal
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
zest of 2 meyer lemons

Whisk in a separate bowl:
1 cup sugar
3 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup organic canola oil

Mix wet and dry ingredients together and pour into a greased and lined 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350F for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on rack for 15 minutes, then get the cake out of the pan and onto the rack right side up.

Mix 1/4 cup meyer lemon juice and 1/4 cup icing sugar and pour syrup over the cake. Let cool completely.

Mix 3 tbsp meyer lemon juice and 1 cup icing sugar to make a thick, but still pourable icing. Pour this over cooled cake. Eat as quickly as possible so your children don't notice it and you don't have to share. (although it is lovely and moist and therefore will keep covered at room temp a couple of days - I assume, as it's never lasted that long around here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment