Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 5: Local "Fooding"

I can only go so long without my typically local diet. It feels wrong to eat any other way now.
So today the five of us headed into Qualicum for the Farmer's Market. The huge, annual St. Mark's Fair was happening as well, so we browsed a bit, ate mini doughnuts (hey, it's a Fair!) and listened to a great Australian singer, Kim Campbell. Bought his CD, some locally spun alpaca yarn for my upcoming cool-weather hat, some berries, and veggies, even a set of wooden mind-teaser toys, and felt oh so much better about life in general. When we left the house, the kids were miserable to leave their cousins, but after a very short time, they forgot about it. I bring them to markets or to the grocery store with me as often as possible. I want them to know where food comes from, and how much work it is to have a meal end up on the plate. And they rarely complain when we're there. I let them choose ingredients and they try new tings. And we spend quality time together. Win-win.

On the way back home, we stopped at Qualicum Cheeseworks. Yum. I love their cheese, and their farm. The kids got to visit with the animals, and I stocked up on local pork. Their breakfast sausages are soooo good, if you're into that sort of thing. I wish they'd bring their meat to the Vancouver Farmer's Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment